Allverse

Allverse
Angela Skeete Davis

Friday, September 26, 2014

Are you at peace?



How do we bring peace into our lives? The books I have read suggest meditation. It is supposed to ground your spirit, put you more in tune with your body and your inner you and give you peace. I am working on that. I try to meditate as often as I can; lately meditating at least three to four times a week. I find it does keep me more grounded and in tune with the needs of my inner me. I find that I am more at peace when I practice meditation. It does work. The hardest part is just finding or rather carving out time to meditate.


As I think about peace, I think of the people in my life who exude peace and serenity while their lives are in turmoil. When I ask them how this could be, they say they don’t let the turmoil around them touch them. They tell me to let go of the things that make me crazy, to let go of past issues that bring me down. When I tell them it is not so easy, they agree, but say that is what makes it worth it. I am trying to do those things as well - let go of the things that make me crazy. It does work, but it is also not easy...



I also know people who seem wired yet there lives are, for the most part, in order. They can’t explain why they always seem in turmoil, but I often sense that they don’t appreciate the balance in their lives. Frequently these people are never satisfied or are always complaining. I find that they let even the little things get to them. Trust, I don’t want what they have. It doesn't seem to work. I would rather be at peace in the midst of turmoil than be in turmoil in the midst of peace.


Finally, I also know of one person who says his life is in flux, who says he is seeking peace, but his words don’t match his actions. It is sometimes hard to believe he is even seeking peace because although there are times when he seems so serene it is almost palpable, upon careful evaluation, I find he is not actually serene; he is just tired. Now, tiredness can bring on peace, but that is not how we want to get peace in our lives. We want it to happen in a positive way and sometimes tired means depression, a state we don’t want to be in.


I think we have to realize that while we are given opportunities to experience the things we most desire, we often don’t know how to go about capitalizing on those opportunities. I would suggest we take a deeper look at our lives. Perhaps the things that are happening to us, that are frustrating us, are the very things that, if we let them, will help us to find what we seek. Perhaps my friend’s life, like most of our lives, is revolving in a manner that is really an opportunity for him (and us) to receive the peace he (we) seek(s). I believe he (we) must pay attention to the moments and be discerning. Peace will come.


So this weekend, do not let life get to you. Let go of the things that normally frustrate you. Refuse to be ruffled by things that normally make you crazy. Pay attention to the moments and opportunities for you to be at peace. Find time to meditate, and rest when you are tired, so you don’t mistake it for peace.


DO it! I’ll do it too! Let’s do it together!  It is said that practice does make perfect, so let’s start practicing and eventually peace may be an automatic part of our lives. If that is what you seek, of course. It is what I seek. What do you think?

“Dedicate yourself to the good you deserve and desire for yourself. Give yourself peace of mind. You deserve to be happy. You deserve delight.” 
-- Hannah Arendt (German-born American Philosopher and Political Scientist. 1906-1975 --

-- written by asd --
images by unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment