Allverse

Allverse
Angela Skeete Davis

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I Love Me - The Drill Sergeant of Life

I love… Me!
Have you ever been with someone you felt you could not do without? Someone who was simply the heartbeat of your life?
And when you weren't around that person, did you feel as though you would expire, you would die because he or she was not around?
Well, think about this: do you feel the same about yourself?
It may seem strange for me to ask such a question. Many times, we get an off-perspective of how we should love ourselves. We won’t allow ourselves to grow into someone we can love just as much as we love others outside ourselves.
It is imperative that we change our perspective. We must love and need ourselves just as much as we love and need others.
What do you mean, Drill Sergeant?
1. Forgiveness. We must be as willing to forgive ourselves as we are to forgive others. (Now, if you aren't willing to forgive others, you might want to stop reading here.) Yes, we have done some of the craziest stuff in life to ourselves. Forgive yourself! It’s over and done. Stop rehashing the event and move forward!
2. Negativity. We tend to be more negative toward ourselves than we will ever be toward others. We are the first to dog ourselves out. We can be kind to others, but, when we get behind closed doors, words of negativity toward ourselves flow like no other. Stop it!
3.  Kindness. We must be kinder to ourselves! We must become our own best friend because at the end of the day, we are all we have!
What makes me an authority on the subject of loving self?
For many years, I really couldn’t stand Beatrice. I had been told so many times that I was…
“Too black to be played with.”
“Too black to be smart.”
“Too black to accomplish anything good in life.”
But, when I finally came to the realization that, although I am very dark, the rest of what was said about me was pure nonsense. I started to really enjoy the Beatrice I was created to be. Now, I know that all of what was said was designed to destroy me, not to make me strong. But it did not destroy me. It made me stronger.
I encourage you today: love yourself.
You are awesome! You are wonderful! You were created for so much more than you could ever imagine!
Peace!
Beatrice Bruno, The Drill Sergeant of Life
www.DrillSergeantofLife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment