Allverse

Allverse
Angela Skeete Davis

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Women Wednesday - female friendship fabulosity

female friendship fabulosity





Today's post is about the wonderfulness of women friendships ... female friendship fabulosity. I am often surprised when I hear women say that they don’t have women friends, or that they don’t like women or that they find men to be better friends. I have always found my friendships with women to have been and to continue to be fun, uplifting and immensely valuable.
Building close connections with women is an immensely powerful act. Communicating, laughing, growing stronger and older with each other is a way to strengthen female bonds. When we form such connections, many wonderful things happen. First, you are surrounded by people like you. Women are more likely to and able to understand another woman's wishes and concerns. Second, women value women. When we share friendship, we generally see each other as and treat each other as equals.
In friendships between women, we hold each other accountable to one another in ways we don’t when we’re interacting with men or someone on a casual basis. With women, we are uniquely invested in overcoming each other's problems and making things work. We rely on each other, communicate our needs to each other and then trust that those needs will be met We use as well as seek kindness and compassion when dealing with our female friends because women are kind and compassionate by nature. 

Women’s friendships are center to and for women’s experiences. We understand each other's fears, as well as our hopes and dreams. For example, no one’s going to think you are being ridiculous if you say you are scared to walk home alone at night. Women support each other and  confirm and legitimize each other's feelings and experiences.

Now I'm not saying it's wrong to have lots of men friends or that having them means you don't like women; just as it would be wrong and crazy to assume you need only women in your life ... in every aspect of your life. My issue is women saying they aren't friends with women because they don’t like women. Women are the people I have relied on, trusted in and shared my hopes, dreams and biggest secrets with. I have shaped myself, at least partially, through my interactions with them. They have been of immense support to me in a world I have sometimes found to be scary and cruel. My strong connections with equally strong women and my friendships with women have been, for me, a source of strength, laughter, support, love and goodness.

-- written by asd --
Sista Girls Cafe - Friends for Life
sistagirlscafe.blogspot.com
photographer unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment