Allverse

Allverse
Angela Skeete Davis

Sunday, August 31, 2014

All_you_need_is_love!

Charity (Love) Begins With YOU!
I’ve been brooding about the topic of love lately a little more than usual. You see, in the world we live in, there is still hatred, racism, despair, confusion, and other things that detract, seemingly, from our ability to love.
I was at one of the public office spaces, I use for meetings, one day. An elderly gentleman was there; doing a presentation about his foundation, that goes overseas, to help those less fortunate. I won’t mention the country his ministry goes to because it really doesn’t matter. From observing this gentleman, I could tell he was extremely proud of his accomplishment in helping those children and families in that far away land. And I’m glad he is initiating this movement. He obviously loves the people he is ministering to. And that’s great.
But, I also thought about a phrase my grandmother used to say all the time when I was growing up in South Carolina…
Charity begins at home and spreads abroad.”
When I was a child, I used to wonder what she meant by that phrase. Now, I understand.
We must have love in our hearts for those we are around, first, before we can take that same love and share with others! If you see a homeless person in the park near your home or office, can you share some love with that person? Could you spare a dollar, a McDonald’s Happy Meal, or a sandwich with that person?
This may seem like a strange topic to you from a former United States Army Drill Sergeant cum The Drill Sergeant of Life. Believe it or not, I had to love those Basic Training soldiers through Basic Training. Although that love was often termed as tough love, it was love nonetheless. I loved those soldiers because I wanted the Army to have the best trained soldiers possible.
Here in the United States, we have many underprivileged children and families right in our own backyard. Now, I give to missions and strongly believe in missions going overseas to help around the world. Unfortunately, it seems we can’t show that same love at home. Love should be shown the same, no matter what. The same way in which we love those we serve outside our circle is the same way in which we should love those in our circle. Can we do that?
Does charity begin at home for you and spread abroad to those who are right around you? Just a thought for you to think on today. #GodIsFaithful
Keeping It Real! Beatrice
written by Beatrice Bruno, The Drill Sergeant of Life
Beatrice@DrillSergeantofLife.com

1 comment:

  1. Yes Drill Seargent! Speak the truth. Your words are my orders. Uhm

    ReplyDelete