Allverse

Allverse
Angela Skeete Davis

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Paulo Coelho on Friendship

Paulo Coelho is a Brazilian lyricist and novelist. He is one of the most widely read authors in the world today and has written over thirty books. The Alchemist," easily his most successful story, is a story about a young shepherd who follows his spiritual journey to the Egyptian pyramids in search of a treasure. Most consider his books inspiring and life changing.

My daughter read The Alchemist some years ago. She enjoyed the book so much she has gone on to read several others by him and has been at me to read some of his works. For some reason I had never been interested in reading a book by him, but as he is popular and I like spiritual books, I finally gave in and decided to read one of his books. While trying to decide which of his books I would read first, I came across his blog and this friendship story. I liked it and thought I would share it with you. I hope you like it as well.

Friendship

by Paulo Coelho

Once upon a time there was a poor but very brave man called Ali. He worked for Ammar, a rich old merchant.

One winter’s night Ammar said: “nobody can spend a night like this on top of the mountain without a blanket or food. But you need money, and if you can manage to do that you will receive a great reward. If you don’t, you will work for thirty days without pay”.

Ali answered: “tomorrow I shall do this test”.

But when he left the shop, he saw that a really icy wind was blowing and became scared, so he decided to ask his best friend, Aydi, if it was crazy of him to accept that bet.

After reflecting a while, Aydi answered: “I shall help you. Tomorrow, when you are at the top of the mountain, look ahead. I will be on the top of the mountain next to yours, where I will spend the whole night with a bonfire lit for you. You look at the fire and think about our friendship – that will keep you warm. You will manage, and later on I shall ask you something in return.”

Ali won the test, got the money, and went to his friend’s house: “You told me you wanted some payment.”

Aydi answered: ”Yes, but it isn't money. Promise that if at any time a cold wind passes through my life, you will light the fire of friendship for me.”

*¨Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨*• written by asd .•*¨Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ¨*•
story by Paulo Coelho
photograph from paularosa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment